Malta is a Mediterranean island that is teeming with culinary delights. While the cuisine has some Italian and French influences, it also has its uniqueness. Visitors will find that the food here appeals to all tastes, with something for everyone to enjoy. From simple yet flavorful dishes like Pasta con le Sarde to heartier meals like Rabbit Stew, there is definitely something for everyone when it comes to Maltese cuisine. So if you’re looking for an authentic taste of the Mediterranean, be sure to head to Malta and indulge in its delicious cuisine!
Whether you’re a fan of seafood or pasta dishes, you’ll find something to love while eating out in Malta. Here are some of the best Mediterranean restaurants on the island.
1. Trattoria Fina
This intimate little eatery is located in the picturesque Mdina and serves up some of the best pasta dishes you’ll ever taste. Be sure to try their signature dish, Lasagna alla Bolognese, which is a must-have when visiting Malta.
2. Villa Rosa
This rustic restaurant in Gozo offers traditional Maltese cuisine with a modern twist. The menu features a wide variety of seafood, pasta, and meat dishes, all of which are absolutely delicious.
3. De Mondion
Located in Valletta, this Michelin-starred restaurant is definitely worth a visit. The menu features an array of French and Maltese dishes, all of which are absolutely exquisite.
This restaurant is located in St. Julian’s and offers a fusion of Spanish and Maltese cuisine. The menu features a wide variety of tapas-style dishes, all of which are absolutely delicious.
This restaurant is in Sliema and offers a contemporary take on Maltese cuisine. The menu features a wide variety of seafood, pasta, and meat dishes, all of which are absolutely delicious.
If you’re looking for an authentic taste of Mediterranean food, be sure to check out Malta’s amazing restaurants. With so many incredible options to choose from, you’re sure to find something that you’ll absolutely love.
Mediterranean foods To Try In Malta
You shouldn’t miss out on plenty of food options while in Malta. Here are some of the best:
1. Pastizzi – Pastizzi is a Maltese dish considered one of the most famous Mediterranean foods in Malta. Pastizzi is made from semolina dough rolled out into a thin sheet and then cut into long strips before being deep fried. It is then served with potatoes, olives, or vegetables.
It can be found all over Malta, but many different types of pastizzi exist. The most famous ones are filled with ricotta and peas respectively.
This dish was originally discovered by fishermen who used to eat it as a snack when they were not fishing for fish or other seafood at sea. It was also used as a meal for travelers because it could easily be cooked over an open firewood fire or under an iron pot lid without any problems at all.
2. Rabbit Stew – This is a very popular dish in Malta and is usually made with plenty of garlic, wine, and fresh herbs. The rabbit is first browned in a pan before being stewed for several hours until it is cooked.
It is often served with potatoes, carrots, and peas. This dish can also be made with chicken if you do not like rabbit meat.
3. Timpana – This dish is known as ‘timpana’ or ‘timpani.’ It is a type of baked pasta dish which is very popular in Malta.
The dish consists of layering macaroni pasta with meat, vegetables, hard-boiled eggs, tomato sauce, and bechamel sauce before baking it in the oven.
4. Gozitan Ftira – This is a type of Maltese bread that is very popular in Gozo, Malta’s sister island. The ftira is made with plenty of yeast, water and flour before being shaped into a large oval shape.
It is then baked in a brick oven, giving it a crispy outer crust and a soft and fluffy inside. This bread is often served with olives, tomatoes, cheese and tuna.
5. Qassatat – These are Maltese pies which are very popular in Malta. They are made by filling puff pastry cases with ricotta cheese, spinach, eggs and onions before baking them in the oven.
These pies are often served as a snack or as a main meal with a side salad.
6. Imqarrun il-Forn – This is a type of baked rice dish which is very popular in Malta. It is made by layering rice, meat, vegetables, and tomato sauce before baking it in the oven.
7. Stuffat tal-Lampuki – This is a traditional Maltese dish that is made with fish (usually lampuki) which is cooked in a tomato sauce with vegetables.
8. Ftira tal-Gholza – This is a type of bread that is popular in Malta. It is made with a dough that is topped with tomato sauce, olives, anchovies, and cheese.
9. Kapunata – This is a traditional Maltese dish made with vegetables (usually potatoes, aubergines, peppers, and tomatoes), olives, capers, and a tomato sauce.
10. Bigilla – This is a type of dip which is popular in Malta. It is made with beans, garlic, olive oil and mint.
11. Maltese Sausages – These are a type of sausage which is popular in Malta. They are made with pork, garlic, fennel seeds, red wine and spices.
12. Gozitan Cheeselets – These are a type of cheese popular in Malta. They are made with sheep’s milk and have a strong flavour.
From the healthy and fresh options of seafood to the indulgent pasta and pizzas, there is something for everyone when it comes to Mediterranean food in Malta. With such a wide variety of restaurants to choose from, visitors are sure to find their perfect spot for an enjoyable meal. So why not head over to Malta and enjoy some delicious Mediterranean cuisine?